Little Joe’s Tavern was born during the dark days of the Great Depression. Unable to find work, “Little Joe” Dewey opened his first restaurant in July of 1935. The original location of the restaurant was located in the lobby of the Grand Hotel, located at the corner of Grand Blanc Road and South Saginaw Street.
The restaurant thrived, in the original location until May of 1936, on only a few tables and a limited food and drink menu.
Joe moved the restaurant to the current location in September of 1936. Having grown up in the surrounding neighborhood, Dewey was encouraged by family and friends to name the new establishment “Little Joe’s”. The current location boasted a much larger seating capacity as well as an improved food and drink selections.
During the many years that Dewey family owned Little Joe’s, it has served as a warm and friendly meeting place for Grand Blanc as well as the surrounding communities.
Little Joe’s was purchased by the Abbott family in 1993 with the desire to continue the Dewey legacy of providing not only great food and drinks, but to provide a community gathering place all can consider home.